1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
The Holy Spirit enables us to understand the Scriptures. We have not received the spirit of the world. Just what is the spirit of the world? The world has its own worldview and philosophy. The world’s philosophy of naturalism and anti-theism is hostile to the worldview found in the Bible. To approach the Bible from a hostile worldview prevents understanding. We must approach the Bible with the spirit which is of God. The spirit which is of God is the new nature possessed by the child of God who by conversion to Christ has had a transformational change produced by the Holy Spirit called regeneration. When we come to the Bible with an open mind and heart, open to its truth, then we can know the things that are freely given to us of God. God gives us the remarkable privilege to understand the Scriptures, and He provides His Holy Spirit to enable us to understand the Scriptures. Of course, if we don’t read and study the Bible, we will miss the opportunity to benefit from this privilege in our lives.
For those who desire to DIG DEEPER into this subject:
(1) Consult the cross references given in Nelson’s Cross Reference Guide to the Bible on page 1305 for 1 Corinthians 2:12.
(2) Consult the cross references given in The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge on page 1325 or in Logos 5 Bible software for 1 Corinthians 2:12.
(3) Lacking access to those two resources, consult the cross references for this passage as I have developed them as given below:
1 Corinthians 2:12. have received. ver. %*1 Corinthians 2:14. Jn 3:27. Ro 8:15. not. ver. 1 Cor 2:6. Ro 8:1, 5, 6. **2 Cor 4:4. Ep 2:2. James 4:5. 1 J 4:4, 5. 5:19. +*Re 12:9. spirit. Gr. pneuma, FS121A2, +Mt 26:41n; FS121A10, +Ge 26:35. Here, “spirit” is put for reason (see Charles Hodge, Commentary on 1 Corinthians, p. 40). Ezr 10:11. world. Gr. kosmos, +Mt 4:8. but. Ro 8:15, 16. spirit. Gr. pneuma, FS121A2, +Ro 8:1n. Nu 11:17. is. FS63B1, +Ge 25:28. of God. Je 3:15. Micah 3:8. Jn 3:5. *2 Cor 1:12. *1 P 1:10-12. *2 P 1:21. that we might know. Zc 4:5. Ro 8:15, 16. Col 1:27. 2:2. +*1 Th 5:21. *1 J 4:6, 13. freely. 1 Cor 3:22. *Is 55:1. Jn 16:14, 15. **+Ro 8:32. **1 J 2:20, 27. 5:20. Re 21:6. 22:6, 17.
1 co 2.12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit
which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us
encouraging cross refs(the best commentary on the bible is the bible)
1. 1 co 2.6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet
not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come
2. rom 8.1 There is therefore no condemnation to them which are in Chirst
Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
3. rom 8.5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh:
but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
4. rom 8.6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is
life and peace.
5. 2 co 4.4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which
believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God
should shine unto them.
6. eph 2.2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world,
according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the
children of disobedience:
7. jas 4.5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain.The spirit that dwelleth in us
lusteth to envy?
8.1 jn 4.4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater
is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
9. 1 jn 4.5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world
10.1 jn 5.19 And we know that we are of God, and whole world lieth in wickedness.
11. rev 12.9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and
Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
12. rom 8.15 For ye have not received the spirt of bondage again to fear: but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
13. rom 8.16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children
14. 1 co 3.22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or
things present, or things to come; all are yours;
15. 1 co 3.23 And ye are Christs; and Christ is God’s
16. jn 16.14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto
17. rom 8.32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how
shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
18. 1 jn 2.20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
19. 1 jn 2.27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and
ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all
things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
20. 1 jn 5.20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an under-
standing,that we might know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in
his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
21. rev 22.6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord
God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which
must come shortly be done.