by Vijay Chandra
This article will compare the similarities between Islamic teaching and the teaching of Mormonism. Recently a believer asked me what is the difference between Islam and Mormonism, are they the same, or is there any difference between the two religions? I classify Islam and Mormonism as man-made religions which have deceived millions of people. So, in this article, I will bring out the similarities between the two.
Both teach that angels visited their prophets in order to restore the true religion and that their prophets are closely related to the means of salvation. Both have new sacred books [Book of Mormon and the Qur’an] which Muhammad and Joseph Smith claim to have received from the angels [i.e. through revelation or revealed by inspiration]. Both say that their God is the only true God, that their religion is the only true religion and both believe that salvation is by works and deeds. Both of these religions believe in polygamy [multiple wives]. But there is a difference worth noting between the two. Mormonism is polytheistic where Islam is not. Jesus is one of the three Gods and also the brother of Lucifer, where Islam teaches only one God. Mormonism teaches people have the potential to become gods where Islam would deny that. Mormonism says that Jesus was crucified, where Islam does not. Islam denies His crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension.
I will here draw the similarities and you can draw your own conclusion from the facts here. These two religions were originated by the devil and anyone who believes either one will end up in the pit of hell.
First of all, I will deal with the doctrines of Mormonism and then with the teaching and doctrine of Islam.
- Mormonism and their claim:
- The Bible is corrupted: “I believe the Bible as it read when it came from the pen of the original writers. Ignorant translators, careless translations, or designing and corrupt priests have committed many errors. There are many things in the Bible which do not, as they now stand, accord with the revelations of the Holy Ghost to me”.
While Islam says ‘Tahrif, some of the sacred writings of God have become corrupted. The Tawrat [Torah] given to Moses [Musa], the Psalms [Zabur] to David [Daud], the Gospel [injil] to Jesus [Isa].
There are the books of Abraham [Surah 87:18-19] quoted from The Meaning of Glorious Qur’an [Marmaduke Pickthall: Dorset Press, New York].
- The Bible prophesied their prophets coming:
- Mormonism uses the Bible when it suits them to support their doctrines but deny it when it does not. They quote Ezekiel 37:19, ‘say to them, “Thus says the LORD GOD, behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel, His companions, and I will put them with it, with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they will be one in MY hand”.
- Muslim theologians use Deuteronomy 18:18 to prove that Muhammed was prophesied: “I will raise up a prophet from among their countrymen like you, and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him” [we should note here: this is in reference to raising someone from the Jews [countryman]. Surah 46:10, ‘See ye’ [this teaching] be from Allah, and ye reject it, and a witness from among the Children of Israel testifies to the similarity [with earlier scripture]. And has believed while ye are arrogant, [how unjust ye are], truly guides not a people of unjust.
- Angelic visitations to their prophets to restore the truth:
Both Islam and Mormonism believe in the revelatory angels, namely, Gabriel and Moroni.
- As Joseph Smith says, “John, writing in the New Testament’s book of Revelation, foresaw ‘another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred and tongue, and people’. One specific angel held the keys of responsibility for the book of Mormon. That was the angel Moroni. These examples are but a few of many biblical doctrines that are clarified by the scriptures of the Restoration”.
- The Qur’an claims in Surah 2:97, “Say; [O, Muhammed to mankind] Whoever is an enemy to Gabriel—for he brings down the revelation to the heart by Allah’s will, a confirmation of what went before, and guidance and glad tidings for those who believe”. Surah 53:4, 9, “It is no less than inspiration sent down to him- he was taught by one Mighty in Power, , Endowed with Wisdom; for he appeared [in a stately form]; , While he was in the highest part of the horizon; , then he approached and came closer;  And was at a distance of but two bow-lengths or [even] nearer.
- Their new sacred book revealed by inspiration
- Thus the book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God, and not by the power of man.
- In Surah 4:82 “Will they not then ponder on the Qur’an? If it had been from other than Allah they would have found therein much incongruity” [or discrepancy]. Surah 17:105 “With truth have We sent it down, and with truth hath it descended. And We have sent as naught else save a bearer of good tidings and a warner” [this may refer to sinners]. In Surah 39:28 “A Lecture in Arabic containing no crookedness, that haply they may ward off [evil] [or guard against evil]”.
- Closely associate their prophecies with God:
Qur’an says in Surah 3:32, “ Say: Obey Allah and the messenger [His Apostle]. But if they turn away, lo! Allah loveth not the disbelievers [in his guidance]”. Mormonism claims that ‘a testimony of Joseph Smith is vital. No man can accept Jesus Christ as the Savior of the world, no man can accept his church; the church of Jesus Christ, unless he can accept Joseph Smith as God’s mouthpiece and the restorer of his work in these latter days [Fawn M. Brodie, No Man knows my history: The Life of Joseph Smith, Second Edition, New York, 1972].
- Their god is true god:
Mormonism says ‘And gave unto them commandments that they should love and serve him, the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship’ [Doctrines of the Covenants]. Qur’an says, Surah 3:62, ‘This is the true account: There is no God except Allah, and that Allah, He is indeed the Exalted Power, the Wise’.
- Their religion is the true religion:
Mormonism says “true religion, the religion of Jesus Christ, was instituted of God for the benefit of man, and it is found only in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Muslims claim that their religion is true as quoted in Surah 3:19, ‘The religion before Allah [submission to His will], Nor did the people of the book dissent therefrom except through envy of each other, after the knowledge had come to them. But if any deny the Signs of Allah, Allah [He] is swift in calling to account”. In Surah 3:85, “ If anyone desires a religion other than Islam [submission to Allah], never will it be accepted of him and in the Hereafter He will be in the rants of those who have lost [all spiritual goods]”. Point to be noted, they both place emphasis on religion for and upon the founders Muhammad and Joseph Smith.
They both deny the Biblical doctrine of the Trinity: As quoted Qur’an [ Surah 4:171], “ O people of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion! for say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the Son of Mary was [no more than] an apostle of Allah, and His word, which he bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him, so believe in Allah and His apostles, Say not ‘trinity’; desist, it will be better for you, for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him [the exalted is He] above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs”. Mormonism denies the biblical doctrine of Trinity as they quote, “The ancient prophets knew that the Godhead consisted of three separate and distinct personages, each of whom had a definite work to perform, and yet they all worked in perfect unity as one. The three Gods constituted the Holy Spirit”.
They [both religions] have additional Scriptures.
Surah 2:185 says “The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance and the Criterion [of right and wrong]. And whoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whoever of you is sick or on a journey, [let him fast the same] number of other days. Allah desires for your ease; He desireth not hardship for you: and He desires that ye complete the period and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful”. Muslims believe the Qur’an [lit. ‘recitations’] is the divine book from Allah to Muhammed, who was 40, through the angel Gabriel over a 23 year period. It was first revealed in the year 609.
Both religions believe that salvation is by works:
In the book of Mormon [2 Nephi 23:23], “For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God, for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do”. In Moroni 10:32, “yes, come unto Christ and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourself of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by the grace ye may the perfect in Christ, and if by the grace of God, ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God”. The tenth president said the following “One of the most pernicious doctrines ever associated by man, is the doctrine of ‘justification by faith’, which entered into the hearts of many since the days of the so-called ‘reformation’. The sectarian dogma of ‘Justification by Faith alone’ has exercised an influence for Evil. The ideas upon which this pernicious doctrine was founded was at first associated with that of an absolute predestination, by which man was foredoomed to destruction, or to an undeserved salvation”.
While Qur’an says the following according to Surah 14:13, 15, “Those are limits set by Allah; those who obey and His Apostle will be admitted to gardens with rivers flowing beneath, to abide therein [for ever] and that will be the supreme achievement,  But those who disobey Allah and His Apostle and transgress His limits will be admitted to a fire, to abide therein. And they shall have a humiliating punishment”. In Surah 5:9, “To those who believe and do deeds of righteousness hath Allah promised forgiveness and a great reward”. In Surah 7:8-9, “The balance that day will be true [nicely]; those whose scale [of good] will be heavy, will prosper;  Those whose scale will be light, will be their souls in perdition, for that they wrongfully treated Our signs”.
In their testimony this what the founders of two false religion say: ‘I bear my testimony that Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God, that the Book of Mormon is true, that LDS is the true church’. And Islam says ‘There is no God but Allah, and Muhammed is his true prophet’. In order to be considered true Mormon, a person must bear testimony that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God and that his church is the true church. In Islam, in order to be considered a Muslim, a person must recite the Shahada, the profession of Allah and Muhammad.