Matthew 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
Ignorance of the Scripture is a major source of error. In a parallel account in Mark, Jesus said “Ye do greatly err” (Mark 12:24, 27). Many of the people I have met who have been lured into false cults were once faithful attenders of a so-called “mainline” Protestant denomination. I suspect they were not taught well while they were going to a church that ought to be known for standing on the truth of the Bible. I have known of good, faithful Baptist pastors who were not equipped to answer the questions of a family seeking answers seriously, and so the family began attending the services of another church that some would class as a false cult. What is the solution? We all need to develop a better knowledge of the Scripture. We need to develop a doctrinal knowledge of the Scripture, based upon what the Bible itself teaches, not on what a man-made doctrinal system claims the Bible teaches. We need to understand the Bible basis for the doctrine of the Trinity, the Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the personality of the Holy Spirit, the doctrine of eternal punishment for the lost, the doctrine of the Atonement of Christ (no current well-known Bible teachers or theologians have a correct understanding of this most important Bible doctrine today, far as I have been able to discern). A very good place to start a study on these issues is right here on this website. I believe I have posted as much teaching on these matters that is true to the Bible as you are likely to find anywhere. There are no distracting advertisements on this site! In the articles I have written and in the answers I have posted to questions and issues raised by those who post comments and questions for discussion, I have explored many Bible doctrines to a depth you will not find in any standard printed resources. I have presented what the Bible says, and have furnished Bible cross references that are more complete than can be found in any published source for hundreds of verses. With all the good information provided here, there ought to be many more people reading this site. For any reading what I have written here, I am thankful that you are, and trust what I’ve been posting has been an encouragement to you. To protect yourself, your family, perhaps those you know or teach, dig into the Bible carefully for yourself to learn what it teaches.
For those who desire to DIG DEEPER into this subject:
(1) Consult the cross references given in Nelson’s Cross Reference Guide to the Bible on page 1059 for Matthew 22:29.
(2) Consult the cross references given in The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge on page 1078 or in Logos 5 Bible software for Matthew 22:29.
(3) Lacking access to those two resources, consult the cross references for this passage as I have developed them as given below:
Matthew 22:29. do err. Gr. planaō (S#4105g, Mt 24:4). **Mk 12:24, 27. 2 Tim 2:18. James 1:16. not knowing. Note the negative, implying their unwillingness to know, not stating a mere fact. All are sure to err who do not know the Scriptures (CB). T#1055. Mt 5:18. 12:7. Jb 14:14. +**Jb 19:25-27. +*Ps 16:9-11. *Ps 17:15. *Ps 49:14, 15. *Ps 73:25, 26. +*Ps 119:139. +**Is 8:20n. *Is 25:8. +*Is 26:19n. *Is 57:1, 2. +*Da 12:2, 3. *Ho 13:14. **Lk 16:29-31. +*Lk 24:44-47. Jn 3:10. +**Jn 5:39. %+Jn 6:14. 7:49. *Jn 20:9. Ac 13:27. +*Ro 15:4. 1 Cor 15:34. Ga 4:21. %+**2 Tim 3:15. the scriptures. In this particular instance, their denial of the resurrection—see ver. Mt 22:31, 32. Jb 14:14, 15. 19:25-27. Ps 16:9-11. 17:14, 15. 49:14, 15. Is 25:8. +*Is 26:19. Da 12:2, 3. Ho 13:14. Lk 24:46 with Jn 20:9. In general, Dt 6:6-9. Ps 19:7, 8, 11. 119:2, 3, 9-11, 104, 105. Is 5:13. +*Is 8:20. Ho 4:6. **2 Tim 3:14-17. Compare also, in addition to ver. Mt 22:31, the appeals to the Scripture by the Lord, +Mt 12:3. 19:4. 21:16, 42. +*Jn 5:39. Lk 24:25, 44, 45 (De Burgh, p. 102). +Mt 21:42. +2 P 3:16. nor the power of God. As to the instance in question, compare Ge 18:14 with Ro 4:17-21. Ac 26:8. Ep 1:19, 20. 1 Cor 6:14. 15:25, 26, 54-57 with Phil 3:21. In general, Nu 11:21-23. Is 50:2, 3. 59:1. Je 32:17. Lk 1:37 (De Burgh, p. 102). *Ge 18:14. Je 31:11. *Je 32:17. Zc 13:9. *Lk 1:37. *Ac 26:8. 1 Cor 6:14. 15:43. Ep 1:19. *Phil 3:21.
mt 22.29 Jesus answered and said unto them, ye do err, not knowing the
scripture, nor the power of God.
encouraging cross refs(the best commentary on the bible is the bible)
1. Job 19.25 For i know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand
at the latter day upon the earth:
2. psm 16.10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer
thinge Holy One to see corruption.
3. psm 16.11 Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy:
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
4. psm 17.15 As for me, i will behold thy face in righteousness: i shall be satisfied,
when i awake, with thy likeness.
5. psm 73. 25 Whom have in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that i
desire beside thee.
6. psm 73.26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart,
and my portion for ever.
7. isa 25.8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away
tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all
the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it.
8. dan 12.2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some
to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
9. lk 24.44 and he said unto them, These are the words which i spake unto you, while
i was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of
Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
10. lk 24.45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the
11. lk 24.46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to
suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day.
12. jn 20.9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the
13. rom 15.4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our
learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
14. jer 32.17 Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy
great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:
15. lk 1.37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.