Rom 12:9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. (KJV)
Rom 12:9 Be sincere in your love for others. Hate everything that is evil and hold tight to everything that is good. (CEV)
Rom 12:9 Love sincerely. Hate evil. Hold on to what is good. (GW)
Rom 12:9 Your love must be true. You must always turn in horror from what is wrong, but keep on holding to what is right. (Williams NT)
Rom 12:9 Let love be without deceit. Be haters of what is evil; keep your minds fixed on what is good. (BBE, Bible in Basic English)
This being Valentine’s Day, I thought it would be good to share some Proverbs and Quotations I have used over the years with my high school English classes.
Related Proverbs and Quotations:
- “When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute–and it’s longer than any hour. That’s relativity.” Albert Einstein
- “Where there is no love, put love, and you will find love.” John of the Cross
- “True love prays unceasingly.” Fenelon
- “Love is always an active concern for the growth and aliveness of the one we love.” Erich Fromm
- “Love is the will to fellowship.” Eric Sauer
- “How terrible it was to love people when you could not really share their lives!” Willa Cather, in O Pioneers!, p. 210
- “I think we shall be very happy. I haven’t any fears. I think when friends marry, they are safe.” Willa Cather, in O Pioneers!, p. 262. [Bob Jones University set, autographed by author.]
- “In real love you want the other person’s good. In romantic love you want the other person.” Margaret Anderson
At the end of each week I provided a set of questions or writing topics related to the quotations I had shared that week. My students were given the choice to write a composition related to one of the quotations or to use a topic I provided. I also gave them a generic set of directions for writing a “Proverb or Quotation Interpretation Composition.” Students often told me that writing such compositions not only made them think, but even changed the direction of their lives.